We're having so much fun with the notebooking pages from Harmony Art Mom at her Handbook of Nature Study blog. Yesterday the weather was gorgeous and we got outside and did the maple tree study. Here are their notebooking pages:
Our trees are still only just budded, so we will have to keep an eye on them and watch for blossoms. We noticed that the small red buds were fuzzy on the very ends, and when we started peeling layers off we found a fuzzy layer, and in the center we found tiny red seeds (?).
Isaiah always has fun in the stroller!
We took a short walk and noted lots of Canada Geese in the cornfield. There are some pretty big mud puddles in the field too, and we had hoped to see some ducks (sometimes we see them when we're driving past) but there were none.
There was lots of outdoor time yesterday before and after swim lessons.
And a couple more signs of spring were spotted: a papa Redwing Blackbird, high in the top of one of the maples, and some pretty moss, which I think is some sort of hair cap moss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







"Maple trees are cool to climb." I agree! This is a great entry showing just how simple yet interesting nature study in your own backyard can be...thanks for sharing your outdoor time.
ReplyDeleteCan I use one of your photos for the OHC Photo of the Week? Please let me know. harmonyfinearts@yahoo.com
Also, don't forget to submit this to the OHC Blog Carnival.
http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_9182.html
Thanks so much.
I’m not very good at identifying moss yet. I haven’t found any good id guides yet, have you?
ReplyDeleteThe best I can find is that it’s known as a cord moss, possibly in the genus of funaria. Unfortunately, that’s the best answer I have! Let me know if you are able to positively id it!
Cindy
http://ourjourneywestward.com
http://shiningdawnbooks.com