Friday, May 28, 2010

Moms should never, ever get mono.

It is just way unfair to be this wiped out and try to take care of 3 kids. We've been listening to audio books, and Lydia has really taken off with her desire to read. Maybe it has something to do with mom being way too tired and coughing too much to read aloud. At any rate, my mom had bought her the whole set of A-Z Mysteries a few months ago, and she never touched them, except for the first one. In the past week she's picked them up and is now on book 'R', The Runaway Racehorse. Some days she goes through 4 of them. I'm just really happy that she's finally doing it on her own, because I know it will help her fluency and confidence tremendously. They're no great literature, but they are fun, and I like that the main characters are boys and a girl who are just friends and they are kind to their siblings, polite to adults, and cooperative with each other. I have read all the books up through 'Q' and have found nothing objectionable. Just good clean fun. Lydia loves them. Now I need to think on what to introduce her to when she's through them. The author, Ron Roy, has a set of books called the Capital Mysteries, set in Washington, D.C. He wrote them after the A-Z Mysteries, so I'm hoping they might be a little harder reading level. I need to check them out.

The audio books we've listened to are Five Children And It, and Nine Unlikely Tales for Children, both by the wonderful E. Nesbit, and The Witch Family, by Eleanor Estes. The first two are free on Librivox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com